The DC Sunday Contact Improv Jam
What, When, and Where
The Washington, DC Sunday jam is a gathering to practice Contact Improvisation (CI). It happens every Sunday at Dance Institute of Washington in Columbia Heights, from 2 to 5 pm. The jam has been happening almost every Sunday in DC since around 1982, at varying locations.
Everyone with a genuine interest in CI is welcome, regardless of prior experience.
Jam attendance costs $10, to cover dance space fees and other operating costs. (Bring cash or use the PayPal box in the page header, above.) Our event insurance requires that all participants sign a liability waiver.
- See the Home / Status page for current jam status
- As of March 12, 2020 the in-person Sunday jam is suspended for the forseeable future
- See COVID-19 and the Sunday Jam for latest updates
- On April 5, 2020 we'll share an online Contemplative Movement session from 2:00 to 4:15 PM. Ken will lead it, and posted details via the DC-CI Mailing List and in an event in the DC Contact Improvisation Facebook group.
- Pay jam attendance in cash at the jam or online using the page header PayPal box, above. (Accepts credit cards and PayPal.)
- See Sunday Jam Past for a little more background.
- See our Related Activities list for local CI-related activities
The jam happens in Studio B of Dance Institute of Washington (DIW):
- 3400 14th Street NW, Washington DC 20010
- DIW is a four minute walk from the Columbia Heights Metro station and has a parking lot and on-the-street parking available.
See our Contact Us page for a map and repeat of the above information.
- On every Sunday we meet between 2 and 5 pm.
- On the first Sunday of each month we share an Underscore at the regular time. If you're new to the Underscore, please be there at 2:00 pm to attend the talk-through. If you're familiar with the talk-through, please be there by 2:20 for the opening circle. See Our Monthly Underscore. Being on-time helps the session work well.
- On non-Underscore Sundays being there at the start helps the jam work well, but it's up to you - people continue to arrive between 2:00 and 3:00 (and 4 and 5).
Checking the Current Jam Status: the Status Note
We keep the Status Note on the home page up-to-date with the status of the upcoming jam. We post (rare) time or venue changes or outages there, as soon as we know about them.
Keeping Tuned In: the DC-CI Mailing List
We use the dc-ci mailing list to share notifications about contact improv in the DC metropolitan area. Subscribe to receive emails about venue changes and special events. All members can post, but conversation is held to jam and local CI-related dance topics. See that page for details and posting guidelines, as well as self-service subscription instructions. Membership is by moderator approval, but nobody is turned away if they're genuinely interested in contact improvisation and are respectful of others.
The regular Sunday jam is open to all and loosely organized. It is not a class, but you can become acquainted with the practice by dancing with us and asking questions. See What Happens at Our Jam for info.
The first Sunday of each month is special - a good opportunity to get acquainted with the jam. We conduct a more organized session, called the Underscore. For the Underscore sessions it's important that people previously unfamiliar with it attend an orientation talk, just after 2:00. In general, the score depends on everyone arriving and ready by 2:20 for the opening circle. For more details, see Our Monthly Underscore.
While the first Sunday Underscore is a good opportunity to get acquainted with the jam, anyone interested in practicing CI, or just seeking a glimpse of it in practice, is welcome to all sessions. You don't need previous experience to join us, just considerateness and curiosity to explore contact improvisation.